Sponsored Parent Visa
This visa lets parents of a settled Australian citizen or permanent resident to stay in Australia for a period of up to 10 years.
This visa lets parents of a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident (PR) or eligible New Zealand citizen to stay in Australia temporarily for a period of up to 3 or 5 years. Applicants can apply for a second 5-year visa after departing Australia for a period of at least 90 consecutive days.
Applications for this visa are open from 1 July 2019 and Parent Sponsor must be approved before an application can be lodged.
- meet health and character requirements
- have a child who is an Australian citizen, PR or a New Zealand citizen at least 18 years old
- have an approved Parent sponsor who is be the biological, adoptive, or step child of the parent
- have genuine access to funds sufficient to meet the costs and expenses of intended stay in Australia
- maintain adequate health insurance for the duration of the stay in Australia
- pay visa application charges
- visa applicants cannot include their family members in visa application
- current or previous visa holders who have not departed Australia are prevented from applying for permanent parent visas
- ‘no work’ condition is applied
Only two parents per family can be sponsored at any one time. Visa application must be lodged within 6 months of the sponsorship approval.
Parent Sponsor Requirements
- be the biological, adoptive, or step child of the parent, the parent of a deceased spouse or de facto parent
- be an Australian citizens, PR or a NZ citizen and be at least 18 years old
- have a minimum household taxable income of AU$83,454.80
- have no debts to the Commonwealth or outstanding public health debts
- pay sponsorship application fee
- not required to provide sponsorship bond
Parent Sponsor Obligations
- support sponsored parents financially and provide accommodation
- be liable for any outstanding public health debts incurred by a parent before they depart Australia or are granted a permanent visa
- keep and provide records when requested
- notify the Department when certain events occur eg if a sponsor is charge with or convicted of an offence, becomes the subject of an Apprehended Violence Order (AVO) or incurs a debt to the Commonwealth
- agree to disclose the sponsor’s criminal or family violence history or conviction to the sponsored parent prior to sponsorship approval
- agree to sharing of information with other Commonwealth and State and Territory agencies
Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa
Submit Eligibility Test form to receive a free migration advice.