Resident Return Visas

Resident Return visas are for current and former Australian permanent residents and former Australian citizens.

Your first granted permanent visa has a 5 year travel facility.

You will need a Resident Return visa if this travel facility has expired or is about to expire and you want to travel overseas and retain your permanent resident status.

Departing Australia without a RRV may impact your permanent residency requirements for citizenship.


  • an Australian permanent resident
  • a former permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled
  • a former Australian citizen who lost or renounced your citizenship.

This visa allows former permanent residents and certain people who served in the Australian Defence Force to live in Australia as permanent residents.


  • have spent nine years in Australia as a permanent resident before you turned 18
  • be under 45 years of age
  • have never been an Australian citizen
  • have kept close business, cultural or personal ties with Australia whilst you have been living overseas

Submit Eligibility Test form to receive a free migration advice via email.