If you are a permanent resident of Australia and meet the eligibility requirements, you might be able to apply for Australia Citizenship by conferral.
To become an Australian citizen you need to meet certain requirements that include that you:
- are a permanent resident at time of application and time of decision
- meet the residence requirements
- are of good character
- have a basic knowledge of the English language
- intend to reside or maintain a close and continuing association with Australia
- have an adequate knowledge of the responsibilities and privileges of Australian citizenship.
The general residence requirement is based on the amount of time you have lived in Australia.
You need to meet all of the following:
- have lived in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying
- must have been a permanent resident for the 12 months immediately before making an application
- and not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, during the four year period, including no more than 90 days in the 12 months before applying.
If you were granted a permanent resident visa after you arrived in Australia, your permanent residence date will be the date that the visa was granted.
The citizenship test is designed to assess whether you have an adequate knowledge of Australia and the responsibilities and privileges of Australian citizenship. The test is also designed to assess whether you have a basic knowledge of the English language.
Australian Citizenship: Our Common Bond has all the information you need to help you pass the citizenship test.
Questions in the test are based on the topics:
- Australia and its people
- Australia’s democratic beliefs, rights and liberties
- Government and the law in Australia.
If you are 60 years of age or over you are not required to sit the citizenship test.
For Australian citizenship by descent:
- you must have been born outside Australia
- at least one of your parents must have been an Australian citizen when you were born
- the Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoption, or
- a bilateral arrangement between Australia and another country
Submit Eligibility Test form to receive a free citizenship advice via email.